Tuesday, April 1, 2014

...and just when I was getting the language down. (Sent March 31, 2014)

I don´t even know how to start. This has been the craziest week of my mission. Let me fill you in on what happened.

Before I do though, you have to understand the way Buenos Aires is laid out. Like any big city, there´s a ton of immigrants. The main tourist part of the town are Argentines, Europeans, and Americans. There are a few streets of only Jewish stores and restaraunts. The villas, are mostly Paraguyans, Bolivians, and Peruvians. Then there are also little China-towns just like in the States.

So here´s where it gets crazy. Some other Elders in a nearby area moved into the Villa last week, and we helped them get familiar with it. We didn´t really know why, but it turns out that President Ayre is adjusting the areas to incorporate the nearby China town as its own area. Guess who are the first Elders there. Elder Critchlow and I. Why? I have no idea.

It´s been insane. This all happened a few days ago, so I´m still in shock, and it feels like a crazy dream. Luckily there are a lot of people who speak Spanish because they´ve lived in Argentina for a while, but most of the people in the streets just speak Mandarin. That language. It doesn´t make any sense whatsoever. I don´t speak anything other than ¨Nihao!¨, and understanding seems hopeless. Don´t even get me started on reading. Luckily Elder Critchlow took a little bit of Mandarin in High School, but he says it doesn´t do him a whole lot of good. I feel even more useless. :P

It´s kind of been a rough week. I came to love the Villa so quickly, and got really attached to it. And to be moved out so quickly reminds me all to much of that flash transfer back in December. I´m just going to pray that I´ll catch on quickly.

Sorry that this letter is so short. Things are insane, and there´s a ton to do moving areas in the middle of the transfer. I hope I´ll have some awesome stories next week after we get settled in a little more. I love you all! Thanks for all your prayers!!

-Elder Goff

P.S. I sent a picture of my last language study in the apartment in Juncal, where I wrote ¨The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ¨ in Mandarin. At least I think I did. Pfft, haha it took me the whole half an hour, so I sure hope so!


No comments:

Post a Comment