Monday, August 19, 2013

Primera Semana en la MTC

Familia!

I'm so happy to talk to you. I am as happy as I have ever been here in the MTC. I feel like I've been preparing for so long during the summer, that now that it's finally here, I couldn't be happier!

My district is absolutely amazing. I'm in a trio with Elder Ellis and Elder Anderson. (I know, my best friend, and my best friend growing up. As far as I know there's no relation.) Elder Ellis is from Orem, and Elder Anderson is from Layton. There is another companionship of Elders: Elder Witter, who is a student at West Point Military Academy, and Elder Fillerup who went to BYU-I for a while. Elder Witter is originally from Las Vegas, and Elder Fillerup is from Pizmo (?) Beach, California. We have a trio companionship of Sisters in the district too: Hermana Hilton, Hermana Rogerson from West Valley, and Hermana Martin (she already has her visa to Ecuador!). They are great! The sisters are very quiet, but they have recently started to pull pranks on us Elders in the classroom, like hiding our notebooks right before we teach an investigator or something. We're thinking up something good to get them back. :)

The MTC is the most difficult thing. Ever. Something new everyday to make you sweat. The first day, we walked in to our classroom to our teacher Hermano Salisbury spout of a bunch of gibberish he calls Spanish. Fue muy loco! The second day we did alot of MTC orientation, and the third day we spent practically all day preparing for our first discussion with an investigator: Marco. It was entirely in Spanish. Holy. Cow. The others in our district were talking about how great it was, and how the Spirit was so strong, and Marco seemed to know exactly what they were talking about, even though they didn't. In our lesson I felt the Spirit so strong, but I'm not sure what Marco was thinking. We taught him how to pray, but he really didn't want to. We challenged him to pray, and then left. ...Really Elders? We didn't even have a prayer with him. And our discussion was on prayer! Tonto, Elder Goff. Jajaja. Next lesson we plan on saying a prayer right away before we get into the discussion. I pray that Marco will feel the Spirit.

No one is a runner in my district. No one. I'm fine with that, as long as I don't have to lift weights, or play basketball... that's what they like. Dang it. It's all good though, I respect them too much to worry too much about it. I just call gym time a humbling experience. They're good enough to run a short time with me every now and then. I'm still trying to figure out the temporary split thing that we can do within our zone so that I can run with a runner. Speaking of gym, the record for a mile is 4:01. On that track? There's no way. It's a 1/10 of a mile with 40 turns a mile, and it's about 5 feet across, with no spikes. Not even Miles Batty could run that fast on that track! Lo que sea, I won't let it bug me too much.

Also, the first day, Brother Nally picked me out in the crowd in the middle of his welcome address and said: "I see someone from my home ward. How are you, Elder Goff?" Elder Fillerup whispered to me, "Elder, you're famous!" I told them that they have an in with the MTC president if they ever get into some trouble. I've seen so many of my friends, it is crazy. Within the first 15 minutes, I saw atleast 5 people I knew. The other Elders are a bit jealous by how many people I know here, but I love it! I saw Elder Franklin, and gave him a hug, then saw Sister Pace, and tried to give her a hug out of habit. She kinda flinched and said, "AH! I don't think you can do that, Elder!" I was so embarrassed, and must have apologized 10,000 times. All the other Elders in the hallway laughed at me, but it's a mistake I won't be making again!

I love you all so much! If you could send me just a few things, I would be muy agradecido para eterno: a cheap digital watch, jeans with 32 waist, 32-24 length, and a new laundry bag. I thought I packed those things, but I can't find them.

I'm so grateful to be a missionary! This is something I've wanted to do my whole life, and I'm finally here doing it! I know that this church is the Kingdom of God on Earth. I know that Heavenly Father lives and loves all of His children. The Atonement applies to everyone, at every time that they wish to use it. I'm so grateful to know that, and I can't wait to share it with someone. I'll see you all at Christmas! Hurra para Israel!

Con amor,
Elder Goff

P.S. There is a tree here that smells like cream soda. I'm not kidding.






No comments:

Post a Comment