Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A new low in the Internet Cafes (sent July 7, 2014)

FAMILY!!!

The United League of Internet Cafes Againts Mormon Missionaries have come to a new low, and told the ciber that I´m in to count down on the timer rather than up. I have practically no time right now, so I´m going to write as fast as I possibly can translate Spanish to English in my mixed up brain.

First of all, before I forget, next week, I´ll be writing TUESDAY because of transfers.

This week was awesome. A bit rough, but awesome. Thank goodness the US lost the world cup. I don´t mean to sound like a traitor. I really wanted them to win, but I like living peacefully among the passionate soccer extremists here in Argentina. ´Merica can win when I´m in the states. :) But why is the World Cup in the winter? The two things that motivates Argentines to do absolutely nothing: Soccer and cold weather. One day, we had eight appointments set up with investigators and members present, which basically meant every hour of the day was filled with meetings or appointments. I was super excited about that, until EVERYONE fell through.

Except Gladys. She´s incredible. She´s a humble little old lady that works for the political party currently in power in Argentina. And she´s getting baptized on Saturday! We´ve been teaching her a little bit everyday since we´ve met her, and she hasn´t failed us once. May God bless her heart. She´s been inviting just about everyone to the lessons, but with very little success. But I think she´s more positive in the face of rejection than we are, because she smiles everytime she tells us of another rejection. One day she told us: ¨Oh! I´ve been meaning to tell you. I invited my friend to hear from you guys and she told me that the Mormons in the United States burn their children and wives as sacrifices. I didn´t believe her, but I thought I should tell you.¨ With horrified looks on our faces, we told her that it wasn´t true, and she just laughed at the ridiculous lies that people have been telling her about the Church. She´s assured us that she´s excited about her baptism, and she can´t wait to be a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ for the rest of her life. What an example!

Okay, we paid for a little more time. Phwew!

So when Argentina plays, the country shuts down, except for us and the theives. So President Ayre has been looking for ways to keep us busy, safe, and in the apartment. When Switzerland played Argentina, he invited us to an Argentine cultural activity as a mission that he recieved permission from the Area Presidency to do. Guess what we did. Go on. Guess. We watched the game. YES! It was so much fun. We had to take out 2 hours of our P-day, but it was worth it. I can´t even describe how crazy we went when Argentina scored in the 117th minute. We went crazier than the fans in Sao Paulo! ...okay maybe not. We still had our shirts on. And we weren´t drunk.

Anyway, thanks for all you guys are doing. I´m loving serving a mission for the Lord. I know that this Gospel is true. I know that our Family can be together forever. I´ve been learning so much about the importance of sincerity in prayer. Lots of the people here are scared to try praying that comes from the heart, and isn´t memorized or chanting. But while reading the prayers offered by Christ in 3 Nephi, prayer doesn´t require eloquent language. Just sincerity. With a real desire to do what you promise to do. May our Heavenly Father bless you all.

Ry-guy, I love you so much, and wish the best for you in your mission. Ahora, ¡escríbame! :)

¡Hurra por Israel!

-Elder Goff

Pictures!

1 through 3, The game. The Zone Leaders already knew about it and brought a bunch of gear.

4. Remember the guy who told us that we looked different than the Jehovah´s witnesses and Evangelics because we didn´t knock on random people´s doors and interogate them? He got baptized and came to look for me at the Misisonary Farewell that happens every transfer for the whole mission. Alfredo, you´re a stud!!!







Pictures from last week.

5 and 6, I´ve been so crafty lately. Check out this thing I made to help investigators understand modern day prophets and apostles. Thank you Liahona and Guaymallen box.

7, Here´s the next language I´m gonna learn. Quechua. It´s a native language in Perú, so you and I will be able to speak in three different languages, Ry-guy.





Re: Pictures!

Dang it. That´s Alfredo. The other one is of me and my MTC comps all grown up. Awww...


On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Adam Goff <agoff@myldsmail.net> wrote:
1 through 3, The game. The Zone Leaders already knew about it and brought a bunch of gear.

4. Remember the guy who told us that we looked different than the Jehovah´s witnesses and Evangelics because we didn´t knock on random people´s doors and interogate them? He got baptized and came to look for me at the Misisonary Farewell that happens every transfer for the whole mission. Alfredo, you´re a stud!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment