Monday, August 17, 2015

February 10, 2015- The Greatest Despedida of My Life

¡FAMILIA!

Did you ever see that weird movie called It's Time with Justin Timberlake that has the amount of time someone has to live written on their forearm? Well Elder Micanquer's reads two days. Poor little guy. But he served well, and has a bright future ahead of him. Now give me my new son! :)

So President excitedly talked to me after a meeting, and told me what's going down this transfer: My new companion's name is Elder Ortega from Spain. He served in this mission a while back, but had a personal family problem, and had to leave. He recently got permission to come back, and so I'll be helping him refresh. Then all week long the office missionaries, the assistants, and President and Sister Ayre have been telling me about how excited they are that wer're gonna be companions. My son is famous, and I haven't even met him yet! But we're going to explode Virreyes 3. Our prayers are about to be answered. https://mail.google.com/mail/e/gtalk/35C

This week was the Despedida (Farewell) for the missionaries ending their missions, and I saw so many people there. The Bravo Family from Liniers saw me at the beginning, and beckoned me to sit next to them for the program. They are doing so well. They're extremely active and they are excited to get sealed in the temple in about six month's time. I'm forever grateful to God for the opportunity to have taught them. William from Matheau came and told me about how Leticia, who was baptized when I was there but I thought had gone inactive, went to EFY and is doing well. I also saw a brother and sister, Leandro and Yanella, from la Villa 31 who I had been teaching. They recently got baptized finally, and have good friends in the Church. I love activities like this that give us the opportunity to take a step back and see the fruits of the Lord's Work. ¡Me encanta la Obra Misional!

This last Sunday, two investigators came to Church. One a cute little old lady named María who we don't know very well yet. We'll be talking more in the week to come. The other, a guy named Joel. He's a stud. Yesterday we were walking to a Family Home Evening with a member family, and a car honked and pulled over with its driver in a shirt and tie. Joel told us that it was one of the "hermanos de la Iglesia" (HIS iglesia). They only talked for a minute or two, and when he came back, I asked him if he got yelled at for being with the Mormons. He said yeah, but it doesn't matter because his friend's just a Jehovah's Witness, and we're Evangelists. We capitalized on the moment to stop and remind him that we're not Evangelists. We're not a branch of the same general religions known here in Argentina. We are the Church of Jesus Christ. HE established the Church, and directs the church. Not the local pastor, not a commitee of the oldest members, but HIM. Joel seemed excited about that. Later he told us that he was determined to be baptized in the Church, but he wants to leave his current church little by little so he doesn't offend the pastora. Pray with me that he'll have the courage to do what's right in the time of the Lord.

I love you all! Have a great week, and thank you so much for all that you're doing back home! You all blow my mind. ¡Hurra por Israel!

-Élder Goff

P.S. Pictures


 2008- You're looking at the only American Basketball merchandise in existence in all of Buenos Aires that is not the Chicago Bulls or the Lakers. And you know what team it is? That's right. The Jazz.


2010- Elder Chriss gave me real pancake mix from his family, because he's going to eat it soon at home. That's right, Ry-guy. With real syrup and everything. They're delicious. I wish I could send you some.


2024- Elder Pirez came to visit the mission! I kept walking to member's houses during the week, and would see him sitting on their couch playing Grand Theft Auto V. 


 2025- La Familia Bravo.


 2036- Family night with Joel, on Elder Micanquer's last day.


2065- View from the missionary's apartment in a very touristy place called Tigre. It's incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment