Monday, August 17, 2015

June 8, 2015- Maxi: ¿Cómo le llama un vaquero a su hija? ¡Hiii-jaaa!

¡FAMILIA!

This week was even awesomer than the last! So awesome, that it makes me forget the little English grammar that I remember! The less awesomer part of it all was that we traveled a LOT. Derqui´s a little out-of-the-way, so we have to wake up early when we want to go anywhere. But on one of these occasions, after a Zone Conference, President Ayre pulled Elder Cunningham and I aside. We asked him what was up, and he simply said. ¨Nothing, I just wanted to know if I could come to your area for the day.¨ The first thing I thought was ¨oh no. Did I make my bed this morning?¨ Joking, I always make my bed. *Ahem*. President was so hilarious, but at the same time, incredibly focused on the work. I was impressed how while we were talking, several times he could answer a phone call, solve a problem with a missionary in a matter of minutes, hang up, and pick up the conversation immediately without even asking what we were talking about. President Ayre is the most incredible multi-tasker ever, but he also knows how to hone in on each person he talks, and make them feel like the center of the universe. More than anything, I learned from his humility. The members acted as if he was the greatest celebrety of all time, and by the end of the night, he looked at us and meekly said ¨it makes you feel really small when people treat you so big.¨ He always throws out little golden one-liners like that.

All of the bus drivers in Córdoba went on strike, and left poor Tita stranded. So her baptism has been postponed a week. Pray that the stress won´t make the temptation to smoke any greater. Maxi´s Mom needs a little clarification on the doctrine of baptism, because she suddenly changed her mind about him getting baptized. Please also pray with me that her heart will soften and be receptive. Maxi wants to be baptized so bad.

Quick funny story about Maxi: We were teaching him the 10 commandments, right? We have hand signals that make them easier to remember, but that wouldn´t really help at all in this situation, since he´s blind. But Maxi´s member best friend didn´t make that connection, and said ¨show him the hand signals!¨ Thanks for the awkward moment, Fede. :P Luckily Maxi´s the greatest sport I´ve ever met, and shook it off.

One of those people that were stuck in between baptism and confirmation was baptized this last week. Luz struggles a little bit because she can´t read at all, and is often teased about it. Once I had a strange prompting to teach her the basic sounds of each letter for about an hour with the Book of Mormon, but when we ended she was so excited that she read the front cover, and a couple of practice words, including the long word ¨extremadamente¨. She´s a great example of perserverance.

I wish I could explain how happy I am out here, but even with 1 1/2 languages, I still can´t find the words. You´re all amazing. I love you so much. ¡Hasta la próxima semana! ¡Hurra por Israel!

-Élder Goff


P.S. Today´s the day. I´m getting a new camera, or resurrecting the old one. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment